What is the GTE Federal Credit Union?
• The GTE Federal Credit Union is a member-owned and operated credit union located in Tampa Bay, Florida. Founded in 1935, in the midst of the Great Depression, the GTE Federal Credit Union, with over $1.5 billion in assets, presently stands as one of the country’s largest locally owned and operated financial institutions.
• The GTE Federal Credit Union is a not-for-profit financial cooperative; the organization only makes decisions and institutes business models for the benefit of its member-owners. Each individual member of the GTE Federal Credit Union has a stake or ownership share in the cooperative. Any monies earned by the GTE Federal Credit Union are returned to its members in the form of dividends or diminished interest states.
• All funds deposited at the GTE Federal Credit Union are protected by the National Credit Union Insurance Fund. As a result of this coverage, not one member of the GTE Federal Credit Union, in its nearly 80 years of operation, has lost a single penny of insured savings.
• In addition to providing financial services–such as low-interest loans, access to checking and savings account, mortgages, credit cards and online banking services–for its members, the GTE Federal Credit Union bolsters the surrounding communities through the funding and establishment of charitable organizations and agencies.
How do I join the GTE Federal Credit Union?
• There are four ways to obtain membership to the GTE Federal Credit Union: membership through family members, free employee benefits, zip code eligibility and sponsored educational membership offerings.
• To receive a GTEA Financial Credit Union membership through a family member you must be a relative of a current GTE Financial Credit Union Member. Only spouses, children, parents, brothers/sisters, step-parents, step-children, grandchildren and grandparents will qualify to receive a GTE Federal Credit Union membership through family.
• Free Employee Benefit memberships to the GTE Federal Credit Union may obtain if you work for a company that offers access to the cooperative. For a list of qualifying employers visit the following web address: https://www.gtefcu.org/Home/Membership.aspx and click on “community partner” under the “Free Employee Benefit” section.
• Zip code eligibility refers to anyone who lives, works, attends school or worships in the following locations:
o The city of Tampa Bay, Florida
o The following zip codes in Hillsborough County: 33602, 33603, 33604, 33605, 33606, 33607, 33609, 33610 and 33619.
• The last category of eligibility for membership in the GTE Federal Credit Union is offered as a sponsorship; the GTE Federal Credit Union will extend membership offerings to members of the cooperative’s non-profit educational club.