Helpful Tips for Frugal Living
Frugal living may sometimes seem like a pain, but getting into the habit of saving money can add up quickly. The saved money can be invested, help pay off debt, or just be saved. To start off a new life of frugal living, here are some helpful hints to get into the swing of it.
Frugal Living and Transportation
• Buy a used car instead of new.
• Just use one car.
• Buy a used car with a low price, low depreciation, and low expenses.
• Carpool or take public transportation.
• Try to walk or bike when possible.
• Consider train travel instead of air travel.
• Shop around when renting a car.
• Find cheaper accommodations when traveling.
• Find positions that will allow you to telecommute.
Frugal Living and Houses
• Buy a smaller home and live within your means.
• Rent instead of owning a home if the cost of buying is too much. Money can be saved while renting which can be invested later.
• Find good contractors who provide fixed-price bids for house repairs.
• Make sure to understand all fees and payment involved in a home before agreeing to them.
Frugal Living and Food
• Purchase sale items at the store.
• Buy basic ingredients rather than ready-made or pre-packaged items.
• Compare unit prices of similar products.
• Eat out less. Packing lunch and snacks is a good alternative.
• Join a food co-op.
• If eating out, look for discounts or specials in advance.
• Eat sweets or drink alcohol in moderation.
• Instead of drinking juices, teas, or sodas, drink water instead.
• Cook food ahead.
• Eat less meat.
Frugal Living and Clothes
• Try to have a more minimalist wardrobe with pieces that go match well.
• Avoid being in situations where window browsing can happen.
• Stop impulse shopping.
• Only purchase bargain clothing, and only do it when it is necessary.
• Look for any online coupons or promotions that may be available.
Frugal Living and Entertainment
• Get rid of cable.
• Use a library card and borrow books and movies.
• Look up free entertainment, for example, days of free admission to a museum.
• Use coupon sites to take advantage of special deals for various activities.
Other Tips for Frugal Living
• Cut off a cell phone line.
• Save energy and gas to have lower monthly bills.
• Learn to trim or cut your own hair.
• Wash clothes less frequently and let them air dry.
• Make an attempt to stay healthy as a preventative measure.
• Purchase generic prescriptions whenever possible.